Recipe type: Dessert
Tzmeroog Rechel is an Armenian food recipe for watermelon preserves.
- 6 cups watermelon rind
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. rind of lemon or orange
- 1 tbsp. whole clove
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- Prepare watermelon rind by cutting it ¼ inch thick and cubed. Leave on a small amount of watermelon on the rind for color.
- Boil water with salt and add watermelon rind. Cook until rind is tender or when easily pierced with fork. Drain.
- Cook sugar, juice, cloves, cinnamon and lemon or orange rind over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Boil until mixture turns to syrup, about 15 minutes. Add melon rind and boil until rind appears clear or transparent.
- Cool and bottle.