Recipe type: Entree
Topik is an Armenian food recipe for vegetarian meatballs.
- 2 c chickpeas
- 1 large potato, peeled
- 4 lb onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 c tahini
- 1⁄4 c currants
- 1⁄4 c pine nuts
- 2 t cinnamon
- 2 t fresh pomegranate kernels
- sugar to taste
- pepper, to taste
- salt to taste
- Soak chickpeas overnight.
- Boil chickpeas in a large pot with the potato.
- When chickpeas are soft, strain, and remove skins.
- Put chickpeas and potato in a food processor until smooth. Add a tablespoon or so of water to the food processor to make it process better but keep it to a minimum.
- Add salt and pepper if desired. Chill paste.
- Put onions in a large non-stick pot and add a tablespoon of water, turn to medium heat and cover. Stir onions every few minutes until they reduce to about ¼ of their original volume.
- To the onions, add the tahini, currants, pine nuts, and cinnamon.
- Check the sweetness to be sweet but not too much and add a 1-2 tablespoons of sugar if you like.
- Put some paste in the palm of your hand and pat flat. This will be the outside casing of the ball. Place a tablespoon of onion mix in the center and fold the paste up and round it. Roll into a ball. Wrap each one tightly in saran wrap and chill.
- To serve, bring balls to room temperature, remove saran wrap and serve drizzled with lemon juice and garnished with parsley.