Recipe type: Entree
Semsek is an Armenian food recipe for a baked meat pizza.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons concentrated pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Salt, pepper and allspice to taste
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Mix yeast, ½ cup water, 1 tbsp flour and 1 tsp sugar and let stand 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine 3 cups flour and 1 tsp salt then stir in the yeast mixture.
- Add the oil and some of the water, kneading about ten minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic, adding more water if necessary. Dip your hands in some oil and knead a little longer.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a towel and leave in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about two to three hours.
- Form the dough into eight to ten balls, and cover while you prepare the filling.
- Combine the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl, blending well and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out each ball ¼ inch thick.
- Spread the filling over the dough and crimp the edges and bake as is or form into a triangular shape, folding the edges over, leaving a small portion exposed in the center so the meat will cook well.
- Arrange them on well greased baking pans and bake at 500F about 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are well baked.