Recipe type: Bread
Lavash is an Armenian food recipe for flatbread.
- 1⅓ cups warm water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package quick-rising yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk (for topping)
- sesame (for topping)
- Blend the warm water, olive oil, sugar, and yeast. It will take about 5 minutes on low speed. Stir in the salt. Gradually add 2 cups of the flour and beat on low speed until a thick and smooth batter forms.
- Knead in the additional 2 cups of flour.
- Allow the dough to rise until double in bulk, about 1½ hours.
- Punch the dough down and divide into 8 pieces. Let stand, covered for 15 minutes.
- Roll out each piece of dough into a 12-inch circle. Working with 2 pieces of dough at a time, arrange breads on ungreased baking sheets.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds over tops.
- Pierce with a fork many times, all over.
- Bake on the lowest racks in the oven, at 375F, for 8-10 minutes, or until light brown. Rotate the pans in the oven from top to bottom, to insure even browning.