Recipe type: Dessert
Eggplant Rechel is an Armenian food recipe for sweet eggplant preserves.
- 1 kg baby eggplants
- 1.5 kg sugar
- 400 gr water
- cloves, cinnamon, cardamon
- Lime water: 0.5 kg burnt lime for 5 liters water
- Choose baby eggplants no bigger than 5-6 cm. Peel them with peeler and place in lime water for 40 minutes. Rinse with cold water and strain.
- Boil water and place strained eggplants in boiling water, cook for 5-7 minutes, drain the water and cool down the eggplants.
- Make syrup, bring it to boil and place cooled eggplants in it.
- Cook 30-35 minutes, remove from heat and keep it like that for two hours. Repeat that operation 3 more times, add spices and cook until ready.