Recipe type: Dessert
Bastegh is an Armenian food recipe for fruit leather.
- 2 qts. applesauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 qt. l00% grape juice
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- Cotton cheese cloth
- Place applesauce into 4-quart saucepan.
- Blend small amount of flour (1/2 cup) in 1 cup of grape juice in jar and shake. Put through strainer into applesauce. Repeat process until all flour and grape juice is used up.
- Blend then bring to a boil stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Add sugar and stir while boiling for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Place 4 sheets of newspaper on table with 30 by 30 inch wide cotton cheese cloth on top.
- Pour ½ mixture on one sheet. Spread evenly with a long butcher knife. Repeat the same with rest of mixture.
- Let set on table for 7 hours then hang cloth by edges for 5 hours. Then turn cloth and hang by opposite end and leave overnight. Check after 12 hours to see if completely dry.
- Peel off by dampening back of sheet of cloth which is face down on table. Stretch four sides to loosen. Turn over and peel bastekh from cloth starting from one end.
- Cut bastekh into desired pieces. Arrange pieces on clean cloth one layer at a time folding cloth over each layer. Store in refrigerator in plastic bag.