Recipe type: Dessert
Anoush Sujukh is an Armenian food recipe for walnuts rolled in fruit leather.
- 3 qts. white grape juice
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup corn starch
- 3 cups flour
- Blend flour, sugar and cornstarch together, then add juice and mix well until smooth.
- Soak walnuts in water for ½ hour, then shell. Try to get the nuts out in complete halves. Take a strong string with big needle to string the half nuts only. The first two half nuts should come back to back in the middle of the string. Then string the rest of the nuts in the same position as each of the first two. Tie the ends of string to a stick leaving a space of 3 inches between them in order to keep the row of nuts apart and also to hang conveniently. Nuts should be facing upward so the thickened grape juice clings on.
- Cook half the amount of the grape juice mixture until thick.
- Dip the strung nuts into this juice several times then hang to dry overnight.
- Cook the remaining juice the second day, dip the nuts several times and hang to dry overnight.
- The process takes several days to dry well. When dry, cut any desired length and roll in powdered sugar.
- Slice round slices for eating. Keep in covered jars.